The Florida LGBTA Democratic Caucus is Ready to Lead
Gainesville, FL – On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at the Winter Membership Meeting, the Florida Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Allies Democratic Caucus both finalized a name change and elected new leadership.
In recent years, the acronym LGBT has become the accepted and celebrated way to refer to the community, both by organizations advocating full equality as well as President Obama, who overwhelmingly won LGBT votes in his 2008 & 2012 victories. The Caucus also seeks to acknowledge our straight Allies, who have stood with us in our fight for full equality!
The Caucus congratulates Terry Fleming who was elected to serve as President. After the election, Terry told Caucus members “I am deeply honored to be elected as the President of the Florida LGBTA Democratic Caucus. I am excited about serving with all of the amazing officers and directors who were sworn in today as the new Board of the Caucus. We have an important job ahead of us to elect pro-equality Democrats and fight back the extreme conservative agenda of the Florida Republican Party. We must mobilize the LGBTA community in Florida to get out and vote to protect their rights. I look forward to being a part of that effort for the next two years.”
Saturday’s election shows the diversity in the Florida LGBTA Democratic Caucus; among those elected to lead the caucus are Latino, Young & Jewish members of the Caucus. Our leadership hails from every part of the state!
Full results from the Officer and Director Elections are:
- President Terry Fleming — Alachua County
- Vice President Marissa Salas — Orange County
- Secretary Andy Janecek — Leon County
- Treasurer William Pena Wells — Miami-Dade County
- Membership & Chartering Director Sally Phillips — Hillsborough County
- Communications Director Dave Cutler — Hillsborough County
- Campaign Director David Jones — Polk County
- Legislative Director Elizabeth McCarthy — Orange County
- Financial Resources Development Director James Basmajian — Broward County
If you have not yet already, please considering joining us in our fight for full equality! Click here to become a member!