Leon County Wins Big Despite National Election Disaster
On this day after election day, we still have life in our bodies, and we still have hope. Congratulations to the following Caucus-endorsed candidates who won their races last night:
- Al Lawson for Representative in Congress, District 5
- Bill Montford for State Senator, District 3 *
- Loranne Ausley for State Representative, District 9 *
- Akin Akinyemi for Leon County Property Appraiser *ǂ
- Mary Ann Lindley for Leon County Commissioner At Large, Group 1 *
- Tabitha Frazier for Leon County Soil and Water Conservation District 3 *
* Denotes candidate dually-endorsed by Florida LGBTA Democratic Caucus
ǂ Denotes active member of Capital Equality
Our wins didn’t stop there! Congratulations to these Democrats who also won their races last night:
- Jack Campbell for State Attorney, Circuit 2
- Ramon Alexander for State Representative, District 8
- Gwen Marshall for Leon County Clerk of Court
- Walt McNeil for Leon County Sheriff
- Doris Maloy for Leon County Tax Collector
- Mark S. Earley for Leon County Supervisor of Elections
- Jimbo Jackson for Leon County Commissioner, District 2
- Lorin Pratt for Leon County Soil and Water Conservation District 1
We also defeated an anti-solar amendment and brought medical marijuana to those who desperately need it.
These wins represent local offices that have direct impacts on our lives and contribute directly to the quality of life we enjoy in Tallahassee and Leon County.
As we prepare to watch Secretary Hillary Clinton take the stage to concede the presidential race to Donald Trump and his anti-LGBT administration, we must clear away the fear and anger in our hearts and work towards doubling-down on our efforts in the fight for equality. Equality is not an optional quality in these United States of America.
Join us in the fight, commit to the cause, and be prepared to unite as we march ahead. Go Democrats!